Day 20 of 21 – Prayer & Fasting
The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life,
And he who is wise wins souls. Proverbs 11:30
19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Matthew 28: 19-20
Reaching the lost, Discipling the found and Building the Church – Dr. Leon van Rooyen
Today I want to focus on one of the main purposes of building. The main goal of the Christian is to reach the lost. Jesus said, “For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost.” Luke 19:10
We have been commissioned by our Lord and Saviour JESUS CHRIST to GO…
“And the master said to the slave, ‘Go out into the highways and along the hedges, and compel them to come in, so that my house may be filled.” Luke 14:23
We are not going out to reach the lost in our own strength but divinely assisted by the Holy Spirit.
“but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth.” Acts 1:8
The Objective of the Great Commission:
Notice that the command was to “go and make disciples” not simply to “go and tell” others about Jesus.
The Great Commission takes people beyond walking an aisle, praying to receive Jesus, and saying they believe. The Great Commission takes people to the point of publicly identifying with Jesus (“baptizing them”) and learning to let Him be Lord of their everyday lives and not simply their Savior (“teaching them to obey”).
Soul Winning is the Lifeline of the Church
- Proverbs 29:18 – Without a Vision the people perish
- Proverbs 11:30 – The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life, he that winneth a
soul is wise.
- Personal work can be done, where personal preaching cannot be done.
Why we should do Personal Work?
- If our own experience is real and has done something for us, we will want to tell others.
- If we believe that souls are going to hell. Luke 16:28.
- All Heaven rejoices over one sinner that repents. Luke 15: 7
- Jesus commanded us to. See Matthew 28:18-19, Acts 1:8
God will hold us responsible and accountable
- Am I my brother’s keeper? See Ezekiel 33:6-10
- A true witness that has seen the Lord will return in the same hour to
tell others. Luke 24:33
- We have a responsibility towards the unsaved whether we want to
shoulder it or not. It may not be our own responsibility to bring every individual to Christ, but it is our responsibility to see that Christ is brought to every individual.
- David said, ‘Rivers run down my eyes.’ Psalm 119:136; Paul said, ‘I have great heaviness and sorrow…’ Romans 9:1-3; Jesus “He wept over Jerusalem..’ Luke 19:41.
- Travail: Isaiah 53:11 ‘ You shall see the travail of His soul and be satisfied.’ Galatians 4:19 ‘Whom I travail in birth’. John 9:4 ‘the night cometh when no man can work; work while it is yet day.
- All can do it.
- It can be done anywhere.
- It can be done anytime.
- It reaches all classes.
- It hits the mark; the needs of the individual.
- It avails where other methods fail.
What is Evangelism? (Diocese of Bristol)
Evangelism is essentially what we are doing when we respond to the question, “How can we show others, wherever we are and whatever we are doing, that they are loved by God?” As Archbishop Justin Welby says… ‘Making evangelism a priority is not simply a growth strategy, or a desperate attempt to fill empty churches. It is about faithfully and effectively witnessing to Jesus Christ, who is himself the principal agent of the good news. When the Church engages in evangelism imaginatively – through prayer, listening, proclaiming and responding – people become disciples of Jesus and churches grow.’